Veteran newscaster Elizabeth Vargas is leaving ABC News, after working there for 22 years. She is scheduled to leave the network in May after the network’s 40th season. The president of ABC, James Goldston made the official announcement about Vargas departing the network. He said” She has decided to leave ABC News at the end of the news magazine’s 40th season to pursue other ventures.” The Goldston memo was sent to various ABC News employees. The memo went on,” One of the best broadcasters in our business” the memo said.
Goldston also praised Vargas as following in the steps of the network’s legendary ‘Barbara Walters.’ The president continued that Elizabeth was only the second woman to co-anchor ’20/20′, after Walters left the show. Vargas has held different positions at ‘ABC’ in the last two decades. She has co-anchored ‘ABC World News Tonight’, ‘Good Morning America,’ World News Sunday’, Goldston also mentioned Vargas’ public struggle with alcoholism. Vargas opened up about being an alcoholic in 2016, and had to take a medical leave from the network to attend rehab.
She released a bestselling book, ‘Between Breaths: A Memoir of Panic and Addiction’, which chronicled her battle with alcohol and panic attacks. Goldston said that Vargas has helped millions of people come to terms with addiction by telling her story so publicly. Vargas also released her own memo, saying she was sorry to deliver such news right when her co-workers were celebrating the holidays. She had hoped to reveal her plans after the first, but she wanted to be the one to make the announcement. Vargas will continue to co-host 20/20 until the season officially wraps in May 2018. Vargas was previously married to singer Marc Cohn, they have two sons, Zachary and Samuel. Vargas has not revealed what her exact plans are once she leaves ‘ABC’.