Buckingham Palace announced today that Prince William and Prince Harry will attend a graveside service on what would have been Princess Diana’s 56th birth on Saturday July 1st. The royals will attend the service at Diana’s childhood home and burial site, Althorp House owned by Diana’s brother Earl Charles Spencer. The 20th anniversary of Diana’s August 31, 1997 death is approaching this summer, there are going to be world wide candle light visuals to mark the anniversary. Diana died of injuries, sustained, when the Mercedes she was a passenger in colluded with a cement wall inside the’ Pont de l’Alma’ tunnel.
Prince William will attend the ceremony with his wife Kate and their two children Prince George,4, and Princess Charlotte,2. The service will also be attended by members of Diana’s family including her brothers Charles and John and sisters, Lady Sarah McCorquodale and Baroness Jane Fellows. Diana’s grave is located on a small island on ‘Oval Lake’ directly in front of ‘Altorp House.’ The service will be a re dedication of the graveside according to Earl Spencer. The press will not be allowed on the property during the service the palace said in a statement, noting the event is a private family affair.
Princes William and Harry announced earlier this year that a statue of their late mother has been commissioned and will be erected at Diana’s former home Kensington Palace. The statement from the palace said the July 1st service will be led by the Archbishop of Canterbury John Welby. After Diana’s September 6th 1997 funeral her casket was driven the 80 miles to Altorp for burial. Only family members and high level members of the Royal Family and close staff members of Diana’s witnessed the burial. Prince Charles and his current wife Camilla will not attend the Saturday service.