Rapper ‘Bow Wow, is speaking publicly for the first time about a deadly addiction to cough syrup that almost took his life. The rapper says he feels compelled to speak up about it, only days after his friend and fellow rapper, Mac Miller died of a drug overdose at 26. In a Twitter posting, the rapper talked about his addiction to ‘lean’ which is the street name for cough syrup. Bow Wow whose real name is Shad Moss lives in Atlanta with his mother, said he wants his fans, peers, colleagues in the rap world, and everyone to know that this is serious and it’s killing way too many people.
The rapper said, “To the youth stop with these dumb *ss drugs. I’m going to let something out. When me and Omarion worked on the album ‘Face Off’ album. I was high on lean everyday! When yall saw me on BET going off on Torae I was high on lean. My attitude, everything changed.” ‘Lean’ is a drug that is also referred to as ‘Purple Drank’, ‘Sizzurp’ and ‘Purple Tonic’. The concoction is a mixture of cough syrup and soda.
The mixture when abused, due to the promethazine and codeine, can cause seizures, hallucinations, severe breathing problems and death. Bow Wow said he became a ‘terrible person’. He started missing shows, turning on his stage crews, friends, relatives. His fans started to turn on him, due to all the negative publicity Bow Wow’s behavior was causing. In 2008 Bow Wow,21 at the time, was on the ‘UCP’ tour with Chris Brown. The rapper says he was doing “Lean’ ‘4 to 7 times a day during the entire tour. He said after a Cincinnati show he collapsed when he walked off the stage, and woke up in a hospital. He said withdrawals was the most painful experience he ever had, and it scared him straight.