US Figure Skater John Coughlin Commits Suicide After Being Suspended From Competition

Sad news in the sports world, US figure skater John Coughlin took his own life at his home in Kansas City, he was 33. The skater’s sister Angela Laune confirmed her brother’s death, she said, “My wonderful strong compassionate brother John Coughlin took his life today, there are no words.” The police department in Kansas City, Missouri has not issued an official report yet, but did confirm that they got a 911 call on Saturday and found the skater Coughlin deceased of an apparent suicide.

Coughlin was a two time US pairs champion, along with his partner Caitlyn Yankowskas, who he was paired with from 2007 to 2012. Coughlin had been working as a coach and TV commentator and skated with ‘US Figure Skating.’ On December 17, 2018 Coughlin was placed on restriction from competing pending the outcome of sexual misconduct allegations against the skater. On January 8th 2019 Coughlin handed in his resignation as a US Brand manager for ‘John Wilson Blade Company’, which produces blades for ice skating. On Thursday the Figure Skating Association called for Coughlin to be suspended, according to a memo that was sent.

usatoday.com

He was “formally prohibited from competing in any skating event, in any capacity, in any competition sanctioned by the US Figure Skating Association and the United States Olympic Committee, on January 18th.” On January 7th, Coughlin told USA Today that the allegations against him were ‘unfounded’. He said at the time, that he was not allowed to speak freely about the allegations against him because the investigation was still pending. After news of the skater’s death the ‘Professional Skater’s Association released a statement. It said in part, “The PSA shares with you the heartbreaking news of the death of our colleague John Coughlin. We send condolences to his father Mike and sister Angela.” Details of the specifics on the allegations against Coughlin have not been made public.

Next Article
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Jussie Smollett Likely To Face Charges For Filing False Police Report

    According to 'TMZ' the Chicago Police Department is going to convene a Grand Jury. The Jury will determine if Somollett orchestrated his own attack. The police department now believe that the attack was planned and ordered by the 'Empire' star. The Chicago PD now refer to the singer as the 'person who reported the incident.'...

    Read More
  • Rocker Beck Files For Divorce After 15 Years Of Marriage

    It was revealed that musician Beck has filed for divorce from his wife of 15 years. His wife actress Marissa Ribisi was served with divorce papers the day after Valentine's Day in Los Angeles. They were married in a small private ceremony at the luxurious San Ysidro Ranch outside of Santa Barbara in 2004. The...

    Read More
  • Nigerian Brothers Arrested & Released In Jussie Smollett Assault Case

    The plot continues to thicken in the Jussie Smollett assault case. Two Nigerian Brothers were arrested, however the pair have not been charged with a crime. The brothers Abel and Ola Osundairo residents of Chicago, and former co-owners of a party store, had their apartment searched too. In a puzzling development, the brothers have not...

    Read More
  • Katy Perry & Orlando Bloom Are Engaged After A Year Of Dating

    Wedding Bells are in the future for singer Katy Perry and actor Orlando Bloom. The couple became engaged on Valentine's Day, and say they are 'elated'. This will be the second marriage for both Bloom and Perry. Bloom was married to Australian super model Miranda Kerr from 2010 to 2013. They have an 8 year...

    Read More
  • Bill Cosby Thinks Being In Prison Is 'An Amazing Experience'

    A spokesman for disgraced comic and actor Bill Cosby says Cosby has had an 'amazing experience thus far. The comic was sentenced to 3 to 10 years in prison for the 2004 sexual assault on Andrea Constand who was a student at Temple University at the time. After the May 2018 sentencing, the Montgomery County...

    Read More
  • Jussie Smollett Of 'Empire' Turns Phone Over To Chicago Police

    'Empire' star actor Jussie Smollett turned over his cell phone, after initially refusing to do so. Two weeks ago Smollett was the victim of an alleged racist and homophobic attack, by two unknown men on Chicago street. Smollet claims two men approached him after he left a 'Subway' sandwich shop. They physically attacked him and...

    Read More